GENESIS 1-3; MATTHEW 1-2: WEEK 1 GROUP GUIDE
The following is provided by Jo Morton, one of our Bible study leaders, for use by all people in or outside The Journey study and discussion. You can share this with links below the post. You can print but we're working adding an option to print more efficiently with a printer button added. Thanks for your patience.
- What did you like and/or dislike about the Scripture you read this week and last week’s sermon?
- What stood out to you about the text and the sermon?
- Do you find it challenging when you try to reconcile science and scripture?
- How can we be better caretakers of the earth?
- Are you challenged by the bad things that happen in the world like hurricanes?
- Do you find yourself asking “Where is God?”
- What word of encouragement can you offer?
- How has Harvey and possibly Irma impacted you? How have you seen the presence of God during these disasters?
While I read our scriptures this week, the theme that God is on our side stood out to me.
- Matthew 1:23 – God gave us Christ on earth.
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
- Matthew 2:20 – God warned and protected.
“Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child’s life are dead.”
- Genesis 1:26-28 – God created us in His image and gave us everything.
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
- Genesis 2:18 – God gave us each other.
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
- Genesis 3:21 – At our worst God clothed us.
The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
- How has God shown you that He is on your side?
- What is your Next Step?
- What else stood out to you from the message and/or the scripture reading last week?